I recently had an assignment to do for my Mexi-American Studies class.
And it nearly killed me.
(Pardon the pun.)
We had to write poetry.
I am not a fan of the poetry.
What's worse - this poetry had to rhyme.
Even less of a fan of the rhyming poetry.
But that's what taking this class was for. To get me to do shit I didn't want to do. Like read and write and study. Well, thank you Professor. Job well done!
My assignment was to write 2-3 calaveras. Those are poems for the holiday known as Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead). Don't know what that is? Uhm - yeah - google it, this ain't Wikipedia, slacker.
So for your enjoyment - I have decided to post my poems.
Disclaimer: I do not think it is possible to write a poem that rhymes and have it not sound hokey. I'm just sayin'.
Enjoy.
#1
Tia Maria
I’d like to share a story about my Tia
To others she was simply Maria.
Her smile and touch always filled with care
A story or two with you I’ll share
How could I ever forget?
I’m sure you’ve heard this – wanna bet?
Sana, sana, culito de rana
Si no sana hoy, sanara manana.
Down the right and the left leg
the soft touch, of a cold egg.
Wrapped in prayer and in love
I feel her close as she watches from above.
Together we would color and draw.
To me she seemed ten feet tall.
Friends forever I know we will always be,
I just wish she was still here with me.
#2
Girl’s Best Friend
I remember so fondly my very first pet
Two better friends, I doubt you’ve met.
Pumpkin was her name
“Fetch”, never her game.
So gentle with me
she would always be.
Even though I would tug and pull on fur
I never thought it might hurt her.
I was very young when she was mine.
If only she could have read the sign.
It said “Do not cross”
And thus my loss.
Goodbye dear friend.
Alas this is the end.
For that is that
And now I have a cat.
I told you so! Rhyming poems always sound hokey.
But at least now you get the whole "Pardon the pun." comment from above. Heh. I'm so clever.
2 comments:
My you are 'punny'
haha
Better job then I would have done on a poem. I don't think I could write a poem without it being somewhat dirty somewhere...
I love them!!!!!
Post a Comment